Wisdom teeth removal is a common dental procedure, with over 10 million wisdom teeth being removed in the US every year. This article will serve as a guide to what to eat after wisdom teeth removal, to make your recovery period smooth and pleasant. We will describe a number of soft foods which can help you deal with the aftermath of wisdom tooth removal, without causing additional health problems. Read on to see what is safe to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner after getting your wisdom teeth removed.
What to Eat After Wisdom Teeth Removal – Tips & Tricks
After extraction, you will have a cavity (empty space) in your jawbone. This area is very sensitive and needs time to heal. Here are some tips you should follow during your recovery period:
- Avoid anything you have to chew, suck, or any food that sticks. The worst thing you can do is eat food that prevents healing, by brushing away the blood clots and new tissue.
- Keep a strict diet after extraction. Otherwise, you might cause bleeding of stitches, or even develop a dry socket (alveolar osteitis). This means that your jaw bone becomes directly exposed to the oral environment. The consequences of this condition range from infection to bone damage, to other unpleasant situations.
- Avoid any type of hard food, including most of what you would find in fast-food restaurants.
- Do not smoke, as the vacuum you will create can cause your stitches to bleed.
- Rinse your mouth with saltwater, 2-3 times a day, to prevent infections!
- During the recovery period, avoid foods and drinks that are too hot. Warm or hot items can cause the dissolution of blood clots from tooth socket, and will result in bleeding!
Best Foods to Eat After Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Below you will find a list of what to eat after wisdom teeth removal. You will find quick, healthy, and delicious ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Moreover, you will be able to prepare most of them by yourself.
Breakfast Dishes You Can Eat After Wisdom Teeth Removal
- Scrambled Eggs. They are soft enough, easy to prepare, and delicious. Add butter, salt, or other soft ingredients, to make them tastier.
- Oatmeal. The “Irish oatmeal” is a quick and healthy breakfast option to eat after wisdom teeth surgery.
- Pudding. A good all-around morning meal, for healing extraction patients.
- Dairy Products. Cheese, milk, and butter are highly recommended, not just due to their non-invasive properties tooth-wise, but also due to their high calcium content, which can improve bone and tooth health.
Lunch and Dinner Dishes You Can Eat After Wisdom Teeth Removal
The recovery period may take 1 to 3 weeks, so many are worried about what to eat after wisdom teeth removal to keep them full. Here are some rich dishes that are soft enough for those who had their wisdom teeth removed:
- Soups. The linchpin of your post-extraction diet, soups are the thing that will literally keep you going. Go for cream soups, with a mix of nutritious vegetables, or for well-boiled beef soups for extra protein. There are many delicious cream soups recipes, from tomato soup to mushroom soup. If you prefer rich soups, you can opt for a chicken noodle soup. Make sure, however, that the noodles are soft enough to chew.
- Smoothies. Your easiest source of vitamins, smoothies are light, do not cause damage to your wound, and are also quite delicious. Get creative, and prepare your own vegetable, fruit, or protein smoothies. Do not drink them through a straw! The vacuum straws create can dislodge the clots, and lead to bleeding in your mouth.
- Mashed Potatoes. If you’re a fan of the all-time classic mashed potatoes and butter, now is the time to have your fill. Just make sure you grind those potatoes well. Add a little butter and milk for a better taste.
- Protein Shakes. Eating meat can be a little difficult at this time. So, why not try a highly nutritious protein shake, which will keep your strength and attention up?
- Soft Polenta. Not so well-known as the world-famous mashed potatoes, but just as good. Add some cheese, some cream, and a raw egg to make it ridiculously delicious.
- Hummus. A Middle-Eastern classic, hummus is tasty, and can be eaten by dental patients. Season with pepper and olive oil.
- Pasta Noodles. This is a delicious dish to eat after wisdom teeth removal. Just make sure that you boil them until they are extra soft. Mix a touch of sauce of your choice, and you got another healthy meal to eat after tooth extraction.
Desserts You Can Eat After Wisdom Teeth Removal
If you like sweets, and are wondering what to eat after wisdom teeth removal, here are some healthy dessert ideas:
- Soft Fruit. Feel free to go for fruit like bananas, deseeded watermelons, cherries, and peaches. They will be a great source of vitamins and minerals during your diet.
- Soft Pies. If you’ve still got a sweet tooth, even after all you’ve been through, try a soft apple or prune pie.
- Apple Sauce. This is a great desert to eat after having your wisdom teeth removed. There are many easy, homemade applesauce recipes. Add cinnamon, honey, and lemon juice. Nothing will beat the taste of the classical applesauce!
All in all, wisdom tooth extraction is no small matter, and recovery should be taken very seriously. You now know what is safe to eat after wisdom teeth removal. Your dentist, however, is the only one who can give you definitive advice on the matter. Do you know other recipes for soft foods to eat after wisdom teeth removal? Share your ideas in the form below!
Recommended Read: Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Your Ultimate Guide