Many people, especially teens, worry about how braces will make them look. The truth is that braces do not have to detract from your smile. Today, you can customize braces with different colors, so they are like fashion accessories more than ever before. What colors do braces come in? There is a veritable rainbow of shades to choose from. With so many options available, many people find themselves asking what color braces should I get, or even what braces color makes teeth look whiter? Read on to learn more about colored braces, cute braces colors, cool braces colors, as well as braces colors that look good together.
Understanding Braces Colors
Before you start to consider what colors braces come in, it is important to understand just what part of your braces will be colored.
Many people mistakenly think it is the metal parts of brackets that are colored, but that is not the case. It is actually the rubber bands that come in different shades.
The technical name for the colored rubber band is “ligature”. The purpose of the ligature is to hold the wire in place on the brackets. Unlike the brackets, which are kept in place until it is time for your braces to come off, the ligatures wear out and are replaced approximately every 4 to 6 weeks. If you’ve chosen braces over Invisalign, you can play with the colors to your liking.
Changing Braces Colors
If you’re stressing about what color of braces to choose, try not to worry. You won’t be stuck with the same color for months. You can choose a new color every time that your orthodontist replaces your ligatures if you wish.
Normally, your orthodontist will have you schedule an appointment every 4 to 6 weeks for a braces check. At that time, your rubber bands will be replaced, and you can switch up the color.
In between appointments, you will be showing off the same color of ligatures every day. Most orthodontists won’t let you come in just to change the color of your rubber bands if you do not like them. Still, even if you end up not liking the color, you won’t have to deal with it for very long. Four to six weeks will pass faster than you think!
Color Options for Braces – Braces Colors That Look Good Together
The colors that are available for braces will vary based on what types of rubber bands your orthodontist has. That means you will need to ask yours, “What colors for braces are available?” at your appointment to find out what your specific options are.
Generally, these are some of the braces colors that orthodontists may have available and a few ideas for braces colors that look good together:
- Baby pink
- Hot pink
Cute Braces Colors for Spring or Any Other Occasion
In addition to standard colors, your orthodontist may have cute and cool braces colors for spring or any other occasion, such as:
- Glitter colors, which sparkle slightly. These can be great braces colors for girls.
- Glow in the dark colors that actually glow when you turn out the lights.
- Metallic colors which have a sleek look similar to metal.
- Neon colors, bold electric colors that almost seem to glow.
- Pastels, very light spring colors.
- Shimmer colors, which have a subtle shine similar to pearls.
Your orthodontist may also have clear rubber bands and tooth-colored rubber bands if you prefer not to have any color at all.
8 Tips for Choosing Braces Colors
Here are some tips to help you choose the right colors for your braces:
1. Most orthodontists will let you mix and match colors, so you can put together fun combinations. You can have your braces decorated in your school colors or the colors of your favorite sports team! You can also match them to the holidays if you want.
2. Black elastics can make your teeth look rotten or dirty. You may want to think twice about using them. Brown may have a similar effect.
3. Most people’s teeth are not perfectly white. This isn’t a big deal, but if you put white rubber bands against them, the color difference can call attention to any yellowing.
4. Lighter colored rubber bands may get stained by dark foods and drinks, especially grape juice and spaghetti sauce. If you’re a pasta fan, you might want to stick to darker colors.
5. Darker colors tend to make teeth appear brighter and whiter, which can make your smile more attractive.
6. Matching the color of your braces to the color of your eyes is a smart move. Believe it or not, it can make your eyes more beautiful.
7. Bright colors tend to look best with darker skin tones. Earthier colors and softer hues will look great on lighter skin.
8. If you choose green rubber bands, be prepared for people to politely tell you that you have something in your teeth. With a quick glance, the green color can easily be mistaken for the remnants of a veggie.
As you can see, the answer to “What colors do braces come in?” is almost “every color imaginable.” With so many different options to choose from, you’re sure to be able to find something that will suit your tastes and add to your personal style. What color do you like the best? How often do you change your braces colors? Tell us in the “Comments” section.