While in the U.S. some complex dental procedures have prohibitive costs, there are some countries abroad that offer cheap dental work and good deals on crowns, implants, veneers, root canals, and so on. Quality low-cost dentistry abroad is not a myth. With the right research, you can find high quality services and skilled professionals abroad for half the price, or even less. Read on to find the world’s best countries for dental tourism.
What are the Best Countries to Get Good & Cheap Dental Work?
As an American, Canadian, Australian or British citizen, you want to shop around for cheap dental care services. Upon close inspection you will find places that are relatively close to home, and highly regarded as reliable dental care providers. Here is a list of ten countries that offer cheap dental work.
Mexico is the number one dental tourism destination for Americans. The numbers are impressive: between 200,000 and 1 million come to Mexico every year for low-cost dentistry. And that’s for a good reason. High-end Mexico City dental practices charge half of what your average dentist might charge in the U.S. You can get incredibly good treatment for very good value. Plus, it’s only a few hours away by plane.
Moreover, despite the urban myths about the “Tijuana Doctors” and scary conditions, a handful of Mexican hospitals and clinics actually hold a rightful affiliation with major educational institutions. Prices for dental work in Mexico are up to 70% lower than in the U.S.
Dental Procedure Costs in Mexico
- The average cost for a crown in Mexico is $300, while in the U.S. you will pay $1200.
- A single dental implant will cost you around $1200 in Mexico, as opposed to $4000 in the U.S.
- Root canal treatments start from $265 in Mexico, while dental bridges will cost you around $270 per tooth.
Cheap Dental Work Mexico Locations:
- Mexico City;
- Cabo San Lucas;
- Puerto Vallarta;
- San Miguel Allende;
Panama is another popular destination for cheap dental services. In fact, Panama is a growing hub for dental tourism. People go to Panama for cheaper dental work, because there they can find U.S. trained professionals offering services at Latin America prices. U.S. or U.K. citizens have reported an average of 50% in savings, including travel and accommodation fees. The best part is that the official currency of Panama is the U.S. dollar. This means you won’t have to deal with messy exchanges. Let’s take a look over some prices and fees to get a better picture on dental work:
Dental Procedure Costs in Panama
- Dental implant in the U.S. (New York): approximately $2600. The same procedure in Panama: $1500.
- Porcelain crown in the U.S. (California): approximately $1000. The same procedure in Panama: $475.
- Routine cleaning in the U.S. (Washington DC): approximately $100. The same procedure in Panama: $25.
Panama is the undisputed king of dental services for locals, expats and tourists. Punta Pacifica is the only medical institution in Central America affiliated with Johns Hopkins Medicine International. Furthermore, Panama has First World technical infrastructure.
Cheap Dental Work Panama Locations
- Panama City;
Next on our quest of best dental tourism destinations is Thailand. At first glance, you might feel that the price of the plane ticket or accommodation doesn’t justify the effort of traveling to this country. However, Thailand offers one of the best dental services in the world. For some of the best prices in the world. In fact, clients have reported that they got discount dental work for around 1/3 of the prices they had to deal with at home.
Quickly understanding that they are a leader and a force on the dental work marketplace, Thailand caters specifically to international patients. You will often find agencies dedicated to those looking for high-end, cheap dental work. The majority of Thailand’s dental clientele is made of people coming from America, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
Dental Procedure Costs in Thailand
- Dental implant costs in Thailand range from $780 to $2500.
- If you want to get braces on in Thailand, the prices for metal braces go from $1,470 to $1,764.
- The ceramic or tooth-colored braces are a bit more expensive, with prices from $2,058 to $2,352.
Cheap Dental Work Thailand Locations
- Bangkok (mainly due to the Bangkok International Dental Center – a state-of-the-art medical facility);
India is by far the cheapest place to get dental work in the world. Just like with Thailand, the price of the plane ticket might be high, but you can get procedures equivalent to those that you could get back home for 10% of the price. There’s just no way to beat Indian prices and the rates greatly offset the costs of the stay and the flight, especially if you need extensive procedures.
In case you didn’t know, India’s economic growth projections for 2015 and 2016 were 30% based on foreigners seeking out dental services. India is mostly visited by Americans and Canadians, as well as other Europeans looking to mix healthcare with exquisite tourism opportunities. India built its reputation in the competitive world of dental tourism on two strengths you can hardly find elsewhere:
- U.S.-trained medical professionals;
- Unparalleled reputation of its private medical facilities;
- Cheap prices for cutting-edge American procedures;
Dental Procedure Costs in India
- You can get the most cost-effective dental implants in India, with prices starting from as low as $600.
- A root canal treatment in India will cost you $110.
- The resin veneers prices are around $195 per tooth.
Cheap Dental Work India Locations
- New Delhi;