While in the U.S. some complex dental procedures have prohibitive costs, there are some countries abroad that offer cheap dental work and good deals on crowns, implants, veneers, root canals, and so on. Quality low-cost dentistry abroad is not a myth. With the right research, you can find high quality services and skilled professionals abroad for half the price, or even less. Read on to find the world’s best countries for dental tourism.
What are the Best Countries to Get Good & Cheap Dental Work?
As an American, Canadian, Australian or British citizen, you want to shop around for cheap dental care services. Upon close inspection you will find places that are relatively close to home, and highly regarded as reliable dental care providers. Here is a list of ten countries that offer cheap dental work.
Mexico is the number one dental tourism destination for Americans. The numbers are impressive: between 200,000 and 1 million come to Mexico every year for low-cost dentistry. And that’s for a good reason. High-end Mexico City dental practices charge half of what your average dentist might charge in the U.S. You can get incredibly good treatment for very good value. Plus, it’s only a few hours away by plane.
Moreover, despite the urban myths about the “Tijuana Doctors” and scary conditions, a handful of Mexican hospitals and clinics actually hold a rightful affiliation with major educational institutions. Prices for dental work in Mexico are up to 70% lower than in the U.S.
Dental Procedure Costs in Mexico
- The average cost for a crown in Mexico is $300, while in the U.S. you will pay $1200.
- A single dental implant will cost you around $1200 in Mexico, as opposed to $4000 in the U.S.
- Root canal treatments start from $265 in Mexico, while dental bridges will cost you around $270 per tooth.
Cheap Dental Work Mexico Locations:
- Mexico City;
- Cabo San Lucas;
- Puerto Vallarta;
- San Miguel Allende;
Panama is another popular destination for cheap dental services. In fact, Panama is a growing hub for dental tourism. People go to Panama for cheaper dental work, because there they can find U.S. trained professionals offering services at Latin America prices. U.S. or U.K. citizens have reported an average of 50% in savings, including travel and accommodation fees. The best part is that the official currency of Panama is the U.S. dollar. This means you won’t have to deal with messy exchanges. Let’s take a look over some prices and fees to get a better picture on dental work:
Dental Procedure Costs in Panama
- Dental implant in the U.S. (New York): approximately $2600. The same procedure in Panama: $1500.
- Porcelain crown in the U.S. (California): approximately $1000. The same procedure in Panama: $475.
- Routine cleaning in the U.S. (Washington DC): approximately $100. The same procedure in Panama: $25.
Panama is the undisputed king of dental services for locals, expats and tourists. Punta Pacifica is the only medical institution in Central America affiliated with Johns Hopkins Medicine International. Furthermore, Panama has First World technical infrastructure.
Cheap Dental Work Panama Locations
- Panama City;
Next on our quest of best dental tourism destinations is Thailand. At first glance, you might feel that the price of the plane ticket or accommodation doesn’t justify the effort of traveling to this country. However, Thailand offers one of the best dental services in the world. For some of the best prices in the world. In fact, clients have reported that they got discount dental work for around 1/3 of the prices they had to deal with at home.
Quickly understanding that they are a leader and a force on the dental work marketplace, Thailand caters specifically to international patients. You will often find agencies dedicated to those looking for high-end, cheap dental work. The majority of Thailand’s dental clientele is made of people coming from America, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
Dental Procedure Costs in Thailand
- Dental implant costs in Thailand range from $780 to $2500.
- If you want to get braces on in Thailand, the prices for metal braces go from $1,470 to $1,764.
- The ceramic or tooth-colored braces are a bit more expensive, with prices from $2,058 to $2,352.
Cheap Dental Work Thailand Locations
- Bangkok (mainly due to the Bangkok International Dental Center – a state-of-the-art medical facility);
India is by far the cheapest place to get dental work in the world. Just like with Thailand, the price of the plane ticket might be high, but you can get procedures equivalent to those that you could get back home for 10% of the price. There’s just no way to beat Indian prices and the rates greatly offset the costs of the stay and the flight, especially if you need extensive procedures.
In case you didn’t know, India’s economic growth projections for 2015 and 2016 were 30% based on foreigners seeking out dental services. India is mostly visited by Americans and Canadians, as well as other Europeans looking to mix healthcare with exquisite tourism opportunities. India built its reputation in the competitive world of dental tourism on two strengths you can hardly find elsewhere:
- U.S.-trained medical professionals;
- Unparalleled reputation of its private medical facilities;
- Cheap prices for cutting-edge American procedures;
Dental Procedure Costs in India
- You can get the most cost-effective dental implants in India, with prices starting from as low as $600.
- A root canal treatment in India will cost you $110.
- The resin veneers prices are around $195 per tooth.
Cheap Dental Work India Locations
- New Delhi;
Many Americans, Canadians, Australians, and Kiwis travel to the Philippines for high-end dental procedures and exquisite dental vacations every year. A top Asian destination when it comes to dental works prices and quality of services, the Philippines are among the top ten medical tourism destinations in the world as rated by the Global Clinic Rating, ahead of countries like Japan or France.
The Philippines’ dental clinics are recognized for meeting world-class medical standards. Most of the doctors here are trained in the best universities in the country, the U.S., the U.K., and South-Eastern Europe.
Dental Procedure Costs in Philippine
- Dental implants minimum price in Philippines is $1,600, going up to $2,400.
- Composite crowns or veneers will cost you around $242.
- Porcelain crowns start $525.
- A root canal treatment cost in Philippines is around $242.
Cheap Dental Work Philippine Locations
Romania is the cheapest dental tourism destination in the western world. There are tens of thousands of foreigners visiting Romania for the cheap dental procedures performed by highly trained professionals, and with cutting-edge technology.
Romania seems to be the best-kept secret for dental tourism in Europe, having around 40 years of experience in serving foreigners. Many Europeans and U.K. citizens come to Romania, happy to save up to 30% of the private dental costs in comparison to their home land. Romania’s reputation as the go-to place for affordable dental work is built on three key-components:
- High medical (and especially dental) professional training provided by top country universities and medical centers;
- A powerful inclination towards cutting-edge technology which is present in most of the country’s dental private clinics;
- The medical professionals’ ability to fluently speak English, making them extremely desirable for foreigners in comparison to their neighbors;
Dental Procedure Costs in Romania
- A dental implant in Romania costs around $1000.
- You can get a better deal if you plan multiple dental treatments in the same clinic.
Cheap Dental Work Romania Locations
Hungary is a dental tourist’s paradise according to the Medical Tourism Association Index. Prices here are less than half of what you would pay in the United States, and a third of the costs in the UK. It is definitely one of the places to go if you want to save money on good, dependable dental work.
Hungary boasts more dentists per capita than any other country in the world. English, Irish, Germans, Austrians, Americans, Danish, and French make the largest part of foreigners coming to Hungary in the search for state-of-the-art facilities, and highly skilled dental surgeons at affordable prices.
Dental Procedure Costs in Hungary
- A dental implant cost in Hungary start from $454.
- A dental crown will only cost you $45 in Hungary.
- The veneers costs start from $79.
Cheap Dental Work Hungary Locations
One would think that dental treatments cannot be more affordable in Spain than in Germany, France or the U.K. However, being hit severely by the global economic crisis of 2008, the recovering Spanish economy boasts quite many devalued services and prices. Spain has always had cheaper prices for dental care in comparison to its neighbors. Due to the current economic situation, Spain is a tempting dental care destination for the Germans, Irish and British.
As medical tourism is concerned, the medical spending per capita of Spain is one of the lowest of the European Union, boasting A+ dental care performed by world-appraised specialists.
Dental Procedure Costs in Spain
- In Spain, you will pay around $1200 for a dental implant.
- Dental crown costs in Spain run from $167 up to $559.
Cheap Dental Work Spain Locations
Medical tourism and dental tourism above all has been on the rise in Poland in the past few years. Cosmetic surgery and cosmetic dentistry are the top low-cost dental services that foreigners seek here. Poland is holding its ground as one of the most affordable dental destinations in the world. Germans, Austrians, English, Danish, Swedish, and Norwegians make the majority of foreigners coming to Poland in search for cutting-edge dental work at low prices.
Polish dental professionals are fluent in English, German and Russian. Tourists wanting to come here will easily find travel packages including dentist treatment and a recovery stay in resort style accommodation. An important part of the European Union, Poland has benefited from international support and funding. This is why the medical infrastructure here can rival that of the U.K., Germany and even the United States.
Dental Procedure Costs in Poland
- Dental implant costs in Poland start from $528.
- Teeth whitening costs in Poland start from as low as $34.
- A tooth filling in Poland will cost you $18.
Cheap Dental Work Poland Locations
In comparison to the developed countries of Europe, Bulgaria stands out of the crowd only in the tourism department, as it boasts world-class beach resorts. However, in the last years, Bulgaria established itself as a powerful competitor on the dental tourism market. This small European country provides the foreign patients with skilled doctors, high-quality services and incredible low prices.
One drawback to Bulgaria is that the population speaks only Bulgarian and some Russian on the side, making communication quite difficult. The upside is that the top-notch dental professionals are schooled and trained abroad, so you can get competent care and proper communication in English.
Dental Procedure Costs in Bulgaria
- The average dental implant costs in Bulgaria is $808.
- The prices for dental care services are 50-70% lower in Bulgaria than in the U.K.
Cheap Dental Work Bulgaria Locations
Dental Work Price Comparison
For comparison purposes, we focused on the state of New York, and worked our way through the rest of the other dental tourism destinations.
|Destination||Porcelain Crown||4 Teeth Bridge||Implant / Tooth|
|New York State||$1000||$7000||$2600|
- Treatment Abroad for comparisons among different countries;
- Revahealth.com – a medical and dental tourism search engine, providing information and guides for customers in the U.K. looking for dental treatment abroad;
- Dental Optimizer – a platform dedicated to U.S. citizens wanting to learn about different prices for dental procedures among the fifty states;
Dental Tourism Conclusion
The average savings resulted from dental tourism have been estimated at a staggering 70%. Thus, the average American or British citizen looking for exemplary and cheap dental work abroad will be happy to learn that these savings are so radical, they can throw in plane tickets, travel insurance, dental procedures and accommodation costs, and still not pay as much as they do in their origin countries for the same dental interventions.
But what makes these countries so desirable and affordable when it comes to oral health and complex procedures? There are some factors simultaneously contributing to the present state of facts:
- Fixed costs are lower.
- Labor costs are lower.
- Education fees are lower.
- Medical professionals are extremely well trained
- Medial professionals have easy access to cutting-edge technology and, while expensive as an investment, the equipment makes dental procedures fast, risk-free, efficient and thus cheaper.
Have you ever traveled to any of these countries for dental care services? What was your experience? How much did you pay for a certain procedure? Leave your comments below!