Eczema is a common skin condition which causes red, scaly, and itchy inflamed patches. Eczema can occur anywhere on the body, right from the scalp to the toe. Most people with eczema have a damaged skin barrier, which causes their skin to flare up at the slightest hint of potential irritants. If you or a loved one suffer from eczema, keeping your skin well-moisturized is the key to managing this stubborn skin problem. Keep reading to learn the best lotion for eczema that alleviates dry, irritated, and inflamed skin caused by eczema.
Eczema Lotion FAQ
1. What Is Eczema?
2. How Do I Choose the Best Lotion for Eczema?
3. What Are the Different Eczema Products?
4. How Do I Use an Eczema Moisturizer?
5. What Ingredients Should I Look for in an Eczema Lotion?
How We Reviewed
Since eczema is a very common skin condition that affects over 30 million Americans, you'll find several products that claim to reduce or treat its symptoms. For most people with mild to moderate eczema, OTC treatment is an effective option. However, as you walk down the skincare aisle at your local pharmacy, you'll be overwhelmed by the number of eczema moisturizers out there. That's why we wanted to help you narrow down on the best lotion for eczema.
We've put together a list of 10 best eczema moisturizers based on stringent parameters like ingredients, effectiveness, and texture and feel post-application.
Don't forget to read our conclusion where we tell you the best lotion for eczema from our list of 10.
Overall Price Range
When it comes to the price range, eczema moisturizers can vary based on the brand, active ingredients, patented formulations, packaging, and more. Specialty brands curated by expert dermatologists are pricier than some of the more popularly known eczema skincare products.
We've tried to include eczema moisturizers for every price range so you can pick the one that best suits your skincare needs and also fits your budget. Most eczema moisturizers cost anywhere between $8.00-$40.00 for 4-14 oz.
What We Reviewed
- Soothing eczema cream for targeted areas on body, face, and hands is clinically shown to relieve itchy, irritated skin
- This steroid and antibiotic free eczema cream helps visibly reduce the signs of eczema. Accepted by the National Eczema Association. Suitable for children 3 years and up. From the #1 Body Care Brand in European Pharmacies
- Recommended for Eczema-prone skin, dry, itchy and irritated skin, as well as sensitive skin. Steroid free and antibiotic free eczema cream
- Visibly reduces signs of eczema and provides long lasting relief. Helps relieve itching and irritation. Soothing, non-greasy cream texture
- Formulated with 1% Colloidal Oatmeal: helps soothe and relieve minor skin irritation and itching due to eczema and rashes. Shea Butter to help restore the skin's hydrolipidic film and help skin feel soothed
Accepted by the National Eczema Association, this eczema lotion is fortified with La Roche-Posay Prebiotic Thermal Water that promotes a healthy balance of the skin microbiome. It has a rich moisturizing formula that's clinically proven to relieve itchiness and inflammation caused by eczema.
Other active ingredients, like 1% colloidal oatmeal, protect the skin and reduces irritation, while shea butter and glycerin work as effective moisturizing agents. This eczema moisturizer contains Niacinamide - a form of vitamin B3 that soothes dry and inflamed skin.
- NEW NAME & LOOK: Previously REMEDY DERMATOLOGY SERIES MOISTURIZING LOTION. Same great product, new name and new look. Remedy is the #1 skin care brand in healthcare.
- ULTIMATE HYDRATION: Nourish your skin with natural emollients with unscented Remedy Clinical Skin Cream Moisturizer. It contains safflower oleosomes and essential fatty acids that penetrate deeply into the skin for an ultimate hydration.
- NOURISHING SKIN CREAM: Daily use of our lightweight face and body cream can soothe dry skin for up to 24 hours. It can also help restore skin’s natural hydration. Hypoallergenic and allergen-free.
- CONVENIENT PUMP BOTTLE: Unlock nature’s goodness with each pump of our daily body moisturizing cream! Our skin moisturizer comes in a pump bottle for easy and mess-free application. Paraben and sulfate-free, Pediatrician tested
- NUTRIENT RICH COMPLEX: Experience the nourishing benefits of our proprietary blend of Remedy Nutrient Complex. This naturally derived complex is designed to provide a gentle moisturizing skin care regimen for sensitive skin.
Certified by the National Eczema Association, this best lotion for eczema has a special formula that keeps your skin moisturized for up to 24 hours after application. Containing a proprietary blend of botanicals like green tea and clover flower, this eczema lotion enriches your skin with antioxidants and natural moisturizers.
The Safflower Oleosomes contained in this lotion are microscopic pods of natural oils that burst open at different times, keeping your skin nourished and hydrated for a longer time.
- 11 ounces of eczema therapy relief itch relief balm
- Provides immediate and long-lasting itch relief for up to 6 hours
- With ACTIVE NATURALS Colloidal Oatmeal
- Free of steroids, fragrances, and parabens
- Hypoallergenic, non-greasy formula gentle enough for daily use on sensitive skin
We love the light and non-greasy formula of this eczema relief balm, which makes it great for daily use. Dermatologist-recommended, the Aveeno Active Naturals Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm is enriched with colloidal oatmeal that works to repair the skin's natural protective barrier.
Formulated to last for up to 24 hours, this best lotion for eczema is steroid and fragrance-free and gives you long-lasting relief from itchiness and dryness associated with eczema-prone skin.
- free of common chemical irritants such as dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens, formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasers.
- easy to spread, non-greasy, quickly absorbed, long-lasting. non-comedogenic (does not cause blackheads). gluten-free.
- dermatologist tested.
- awarded the seal of acceptance from the national eczema association with a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
- Skin type: acne prone,sensitive
Accepted by the National Eczema Association, this moisturizing cream has a non-greasy and long-lasting formulation. Its light formula makes it easy to spread on the skin and it is quickly absorbed. Gentle on your skin, Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream relieves itchiness and irritation without making your skin feel too greasy.
- Moisturize and soothe: Use Vanicream lotion to hydrate and moisturize dry skin; this non-greasy, long-lasting lotion is ideal for daily use
- Ingredients for sensitive skin: Free of dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens and formaldehyde releasers; this non-comedogenic body lotion does not clog pores
- Directions: Apply as often as needed to face, hands, feet and body, or as directed by a physician; ideal for the entire family.
- Dermatologist tested: Awarded Seal of Acceptance from the National Eczema Association
- Please note: There are no fragrances or masking fragrances in Vanicream products, but there may be a slightly different aroma to each batch; packaging may vary
Free of common skin irritants like dyes, fragrances, parabens, Vanicream Lite Lotion Pump for Sensitive Skin is available in a convenient pump dispenser. Ideal for those with eczema and sensitive skin, this lotion moisturizes and hydrates without feeling heavy and greasy on your skin.
Perfect for families with multi-users, buy this long-lasting moisturizing cream for ease of use.
- [ CERAVE ANTI ITCH LOTION ] Temporarily relieves itching associated with insect bites, sunburn, poison ivy while moisturizing dry skin. Lightweight texture that is absorbed quickly for softened skin with non-greasy feel.
- [ CLINICALLY TESTED ] Provides relief within two minutes and lasts up to 8 hours. 100 percent of people experienced relief for even their most severe itch; clinical study done on 34 subjects. Individual results may vary.
- [ SOOTHING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with 1% Pramoxine Hydrochloride for fast-acting, long-lasting temporary itch-relief, Niacinamide to help calm skin, and Hyaluronic Acid to help retain skin’s natural moisture.
- [ 3 ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
- [ DEVELOPED WITH DERMATOLOGISTS ] Suitable for use on face; body; and hands to temporarily relieve itching. Holds National Eczema Association (NEA) Seal of Acceptance. Fragrance free; steroid-free; and non-comedogenic. FSA Eligible & HSA Eligible
Most users on Amazon rate this product as the best lotion for eczema. Many of them report that this product relieves the intense itch that accompanies an eczema rash, and provides relief within minutes of application.
The specially infused essential ceramides in this lotion restore your skin's natural protective barrier and give long-lasting relief from itching and irritation (up to 8 hours).
- Triple-Purified and Hypoallergenic: The product undergoes a triple-purification process to ensure purity and is hypoallergenic, making it suitable for sensitive skin.
- Dermatologist Recommended: Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Original is recommended by dermatologists and has received the U.S. National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance, indicating its suitability for people with eczema and sensitive skin.
- Fragrance-Free and Non-Irritating: It is fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, non-irritating, and non-comedogenic, making it safe for various skin types and unlikely to clog pores.
- Versatile Uses: Vaseline Jelly is used for personal care, baby care, and beauty. By sealing in moisture, it aids the skin's natural recovery process, helping heal dry skin and reducing the appearance of fine, dry lines.
- Protective Barrier: It forms a protective barrier on the skin, shielding against environmental factors like windburn. Additionally, it has a long history of use to protect minor cuts, scrapes, and burns.
As per dermatologists, caring for your skin and taking precautions to prevent eczema flare-ups can help you better manage this chronic skin condition. One of the top tips to relieve eczema symptoms is to keep your skin moisturized always. This plain Vaseline Petroleum Jelly is 100% pure and is a gently moisturizing solution for eczema-sufferers.
Use this hypoallergenic petroleum jelly after a warm shower to moisturize and nourish your skin. Free of added scents, fragrances, or other harsh ingredients, this is a timeless moisturizing product that works extremely well to relieve the discomforting symptoms of eczema.
Formulated for dry and irritated eczema-prone skin, this cream prevents moisture loss, and repairs the skin's natural protective barrier. This eczema cream soothes extremely dry, itchy, and irritated skin, and is gentle enough to be used on babies with dry skin problems.
Featuring a clinically-proven and patented technology that restores the skin's natural regenerative process, while nourishing it, this best lotion for eczema also boosts collagen production and is great for your skin health.
Perfect for severely dry and damaged skin, this lotion heals eczema patches with a concentrated hydrating formula that penetrates your skin deeply. You'll love the non-sticky finish of this product; try it to combat not only eczema and dry skin, but also to give your skin a youthful and lustrous look.
- DRY SKIN HEALING - Our Curél Hydra Therapy moisturizer is activated by water on freshly-showered skin to deeply penetrate the skin surface helping to heal dry skin. Non-irritating formula, suitable for sensitive skin.
- LIGHTWEIGHT MOISTURIZATION - With daily shower application, your skin will feel 3 times more hydrated. Reducing the need to use heavyweight lotions.
- HYDRATE YOUR SKIN WITH NO RESIDUE - Curél fast absorbing lotion allows for wet, in-shower application and immediate absorption so you can towel off and go.
- CREATE A MOISTURE BARRIER - Curél moisturizers, with Advanced Ceramide Complex, replenish ceramides to your dry skin. With better moisture retention, you can help prevent the issues associated with extra dry skin.
- PROVEN DRY SKIN RELIEF – Unique moisturization formulas with a long history of success, Curél Hydra Therapy moisturizers have been granted the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance.
Use this moisturizer immediately after the shower for maximum effectiveness. Greaseless and easily absorbed on the skin, this water-activated moisturizer penetrates your skin to relive dryness and irritation. The advanced ceramides in this moisturizer replenish your skin's natural moisture barrier and prevent dry skin symptoms from returning.
All the products we've talked about are really effective at reducing uncomfortable symptoms that come with eczema. But, the winner clearly is the CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion for Itch Relief.
The reason this product wins the prize for the best eczema lotion is due to its effectiveness in reducing the itching and irritation caused by eczema within minutes of applying it. For a reasonable price, you get an eczema lotion that not only relieves your misery but also works to protect and restore your natural's skin barrier, thereby healing your eczema and preventing flare-ups.
As with any health condition, always remember to check with a dermatologist before trying out a new product for eczema. All the products we've discussed here work well for eczema. However, your doctor will be the best person to recommend an eczema cream that addresses your individual skincare needs.
Featured image source: Pixabay