Eczema is a common skin condition which causes red, scaly, and itchy inflamed patches. Eczema can occur anywhere on the body, right from the scalp to the toe. Most people with eczema have a damaged skin barrier, which causes their skin to flare up at the slightest hint of potential irritants. If you or a loved one suffer from eczema, keeping your skin well-moisturized is the key to managing this stubborn skin problem. Keep reading to learn the best lotion for eczema that alleviates dry, irritated, and inflamed skin caused by eczema.
Eczema Lotion FAQ
1. What Is Eczema?
Eczema is a bothersome skin condition that's often difficult to manage. The irritation, dryness, itchiness, and not to mention the red scaly patches, are trouble symptoms that can severely impact your quality of life. But there's good news! Mild to moderate eczema can be managed and treated with over-the-counter creams and lotions. Dermatology experts recommend products that will strengthen and protect your skin's natural barrier, which is weakened by eczema.
The market, however, is flooded with innumerable eczema treatment creams and lotions, making it hard to zero on in one perfect product. Below are some common questions we've tried to answer to make it easier for you to choose a high-quality eczema lotion that actually works.
2. How Do I Choose the Best Lotion for Eczema?
This seems to be the number question among consumers! Well, the simple answer to this is: you need a product that contains more oils, and hydrates your skin really well. For eczema sufferers it's also important to stay away from harsh chemicals, fragrances, and other harsh ingredients that can inflame your skin even more.
We recommend choosing an eczema ointment, cream, or lotion that has an ultra-hydrating formulation, is infused with nourishing oils, and is free of harsh ingredients and fragrances. Buying a lotion or cream certified by the National Eczema Association also gives you the assurance that the product is specially formulated to address and reduce eczema symptoms.
Again, each product works differently on every individual. It's best to test a new eczema product on a small patch of skin to look for any adverse reactions and gauge how your skin is reacting to the new product.
3. What Are the Different Eczema Products?
There are mainly three types of eczema moisturizers: ointments, creams, and lotions.
Ointments usually have the most oil content and are intensely moisturizing. However, most people are put off by their greasy texture. Also, some ointments require a doctor's prescription for purchase.
Cream is a formula that's between an ointment and a moisturizer. A popular choice due to their non-greasy feel, creams are an effective treatment choice for eczema.
Lotions are light and non-greasy, containing higher water content and less oil content. However, there are lotions specially formulated for eczema that are highly effective in relieving eczema symptoms. Owing to their ease of use and effectiveness, lotions are the most popular choice for over-the-counter eczema treatment.
4. How Do I Use an Eczema Moisturizer?
Dermatologists recommend that eczema sufferers must use only lukewarm water for their bath or shower. Avoid hot water and extended periods soaking in the bath tub or standing under the shower.
Immediately after, gently pat your skin dry; let it remain slightly damp. Apply your eczema moisturizer at this stage, before your skin dries out completely. Using a moisturizer immediately after bath enhances its efficacy and locks in the moisture your skin has absorbed from the shower.
Gently rub the moisturizer between the palms of your hand and slather a thick layer all over your skin. Spread it evenly using gentle downward strokes. Even if your skin feels sticky at first, don't take off the excess cream; your skin will absorb it.
5. What Ingredients Should I Look for in an Eczema Lotion?
Colloidal oatmeal is a FDA-designated active ingredient that's known to relieve itching and skin irritation caused by eczema and dry skin. If you're buying an eczema moisturizer, try to choose one that contains this potent skin-protecting component.
Nourishing and moisturizing elements like shea butter, hyaluronic acid, and ceramides not only alleviate itching and inflammation but also repair and restore skin's natural ability to hydrate and moisturize itself. These key ingredients are effective in treating mild to moderateeczema, and are features you must look for in a good eczema moisturizer.
How We Reviewed
Since eczema is a very common skin condition that affects over 30 million Americans, you'll find several products that claim to reduce or treat its symptoms. For most people with mild to moderate eczema, OTC treatment is an effective option. However, as you walk down the skincare aisle at your local pharmacy, you'll be overwhelmed by the number of eczema moisturizers out there. That's why we wanted to help you narrow down on the best lotion for eczema.
We've put together a list of 10 best eczema moisturizers based on stringent parameters like ingredients, effectiveness, and texture and feel post-application.
Don't forget to read our conclusion where we tell you the best lotion for eczema from our list of 10.
Overall Price Range
When it comes to the price range, eczema moisturizers can vary based on the brand, active ingredients, patented formulations, packaging, and more. Specialty brands curated by expert dermatologists are pricier than some of the more popularly known eczema skincare products.
We've tried to include eczema moisturizers for every price range so you can pick the one that best suits your skincare needs and also fits your budget. Most eczema moisturizers cost anywhere between $8.00-$40.00 for 4-14 oz.
What We Reviewed
Accepted by the National Eczema Association, this eczema lotion is fortified with La Roche-Posay Prebiotic Thermal Water that promotes a healthy balance of the skin microbiome. It has a rich moisturizing formula that's clinically proven to relieve itchiness and inflammation caused by eczema.
Other active ingredients, like 1% colloidal oatmeal, protect the skin and reduces irritation, while shea butter and glycerin work as effective moisturizing agents. This eczema moisturizer contains Niacinamide - a form of vitamin B3 that soothes dry and inflamed skin.
- Last up to 24 hours - Remedy Dermatology Series body Lotion is formulated by skin care specialists to help skin stay hydrated and retain moisture for up to 24 hours; Great for sensitive skin
- Proprietary botanical blend - Contains a proprietary botanical complex of soothing antioxidants and vitamins for skin nutrition
- Soothes, hydrates & moisturizes - safflower oleosomes provide lasting moisturization with natural oils; additional ingredients include green Tea, clove flower and soy
- Dermatologist tested - This moisturizing lotion is pH balanced, paraben free, Fragrance Free & Hypoallergenic with no Aloe, phthalates or sulfates
- Free of core allergens - free of ingredients found on the North American 80 comprehensive Series (NAC-80) list of possible irritants
Certified by the National Eczema Association, this best lotion for eczema has a special formula that keeps your skin moisturized for up to 24 hours after application. Containing a proprietary blend of botanicals like green tea and clover flower, this eczema lotion enriches your skin with antioxidants and natural moisturizers.
The Safflower Oleosomes contained in this lotion are microscopic pods of natural oils that burst open at different times, keeping your skin nourished and hydrated for a longer time.
- 11 ounces of eczema therapy relief itch relief balm
- Provides immediate and long-lasting itch relief for up to 6 hours
- With ACTIVE NATURALS Colloidal Oatmeal
- Free of steroids, fragrances, and parabens
- Hypoallergenic, non-greasy formula gentle enough for daily use on sensitive skin
We love the light and non-greasy formula of this eczema relief balm, which makes it great for daily use. Dermatologist-recommended, the Aveeno Active Naturals Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm is enriched with colloidal oatmeal that works to repair the skin's natural protective barrier.
Formulated to last for up to 24 hours, this best lotion for eczema is steroid and fragrance-free and gives you long-lasting relief from itchiness and dryness associated with eczema-prone skin.
- free of common chemical irritants such as dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens, formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasers.
- easy to spread, non-greasy, quickly absorbed, long-lasting. non-comedogenic (does not cause blackheads). gluten-free.
- dermatologist tested.
- awarded the seal of acceptance from the national eczema association with a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
- Skin type: acne prone,sensitive
Accepted by the National Eczema Association, this moisturizing cream has a non-greasy and long-lasting formulation. Its light formula makes it easy to spread on the skin and it is quickly absorbed. Gentle on your skin, Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream relieves itchiness and irritation without making your skin feel too greasy.
- Free of common chemical irritants such as dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens, formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasers
- Gluten-free & Non-comedogenic (does not cause blackheads)
- Dermatologist tested. Sulfate and Phosphate free
- Easy to spread, non-greasy, quickly absorbed, long-lasting. Apply after bathing, showering, swimming, or sun exposure
- Awarded the Seal of Acceptance from the National Eczema Association
Free of common skin irritants like dyes, fragrances, parabens, Vanicream Lite Lotion Pump for Sensitive Skin is available in a convenient pump dispenser. Ideal for those with eczema and sensitive skin, this lotion moisturizes and hydrates without feeling heavy and greasy on your skin.
Perfect for families with multi-users, buy this long-lasting moisturizing cream for ease of use.
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that help restore and maintain its natural protective barrier
- [ CLINICALLY TESTED ] 100% of people experienced relief for even their most severe itch ; Clinical study done on 34 subjects. Individual results may vary
- [ FAST ACTING ] 2 minutes until relief for most people. Health Concern: Dry Skin, Eczema
- [ LONG LASTING ] 8 hours of relief for most people
- [ NEA SEAL OF ACCEPTANCE ] Accepted by the National Eczema Association
Most users on Amazon rate this product as the best lotion for eczema. Many of them report that this product relieves the intense itch that accompanies an eczema rash, and provides relief within minutes of application.
The specially infused essential ceramides in this lotion restore your skin's natural protective barrier and give long-lasting relief from itching and irritation (up to 8 hours).
- 100% pure petroleum jelly. Triple-purified. Purity guaranteed
- Reduces the appearance of fine, dry lines
- Helps protect minor cuts, scrapes and burns
- Protects your skin from windburn and chapping
- Gentle on your skin, hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores)
As per dermatologists, caring for your skin and taking precautions to prevent eczema flare-ups can help you better manage this chronic skin condition. One of the top tips to relieve eczema symptoms is to keep your skin moisturized always. This plain Vaseline Petroleum Jelly is 100% pure and is a gently moisturizing solution for eczema-sufferers.
Use this hypoallergenic petroleum jelly after a warm shower to moisturize and nourish your skin. Free of added scents, fragrances, or other harsh ingredients, this is a timeless moisturizing product that works extremely well to relieve the discomforting symptoms of eczema.
Formulated for dry and irritated eczema-prone skin, this cream prevents moisture loss, and repairs the skin's natural protective barrier. This eczema cream soothes extremely dry, itchy, and irritated skin, and is gentle enough to be used on babies with dry skin problems.
- ECZEMA & PSORIASIS TREATMENT - Superior hydration properties help repair and protect severely dry skin by replenishing and strengthening the skin’s natural moisture barrier. Ideal for a wide range of skin conditions including eczema, psoriasis, diabetes, superficial wounds, aging, damage from chemotherapy/radiation therapy. Also great for after-tattoo care, dry skin from excessive hand washing, and wear & tear associated with heavy use of hands/feet (sports, construction, gardening).
- CLINICALLY PROVEN, PATENTED TECHNOLOGY – Backed by Dr. Harry Glassman, SBD-4 is a proven, scientific technology which works to stimulate skin's natural cell regenerative process, improve hydration, microcirculation and oxygenation, plus increase skin's elasticity, thickness, texture and tone as well as boost natural collagen production. Bottom line: this UNIQUE new formula is extremely refined & superior to pre-existing alternatives - many customers say it is the BEST lotion they have ever tried
- VISIBLE RESULTS & DEVELOPED BY A SURGEON - In a consumer perception study, 100% of the participants saw an immediate improvement in skin's hydration, smoothness/texture, and radiance/luminosity. Dr. Harry Glassman is a world-renowned Cosmetic surgeon who has combined the MOST EFFECTIVE ingredients from both SCIENCE & NATURE to deliver visible results, without a prescription. Skin Clinical products can help treat a vast array of skin conditions, helps fight wrinkles and offer anti-aging benefits
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE – Other commonly used unscented white lotions are simply emollients that stay on the surface and are not actively involved in the healing process – they simply “feel good” whereas Extreme Healing is “doing good.” Additionally, Skin Clinical puts skin & health first, so Extreme Healing lotion does NOT include any fragrances, parabens, dyes, or steroids and is NOT tested on animals. Skin Clinical Extreme Healing has received The NATIONAL ECZEMA ASSOCIATION Seal of Acceptance.
- CONCENTRATED CREAM – This healing cream contains a higher concentration of our patented SBD-4 to accelerate healing in targeted areas. The formula penetrates the skin, providing hydration with a non-sticky, dry touch finish. Whether you’re fighting delicate, itchy, red, chapped, or dry skin - or fighting a specific skin condition such as Eczema or Psoriasis - use Skin Clinical Extreme Healing Repair Concentrate daily as needed and watch your skin become more moisturized, smooth and radiant
Featuring a clinically-proven and patented technology that restores the skin's natural regenerative process, while nourishing it, this best lotion for eczema also boosts collagen production and is great for your skin health.
Perfect for severely dry and damaged skin, this lotion heals eczema patches with a concentrated hydrating formula that penetrates your skin deeply. You'll love the non-sticky finish of this product; try it to combat not only eczema and dry skin, but also to give your skin a youthful and lustrous look.
- DRY SKIN HEALING - Our Curél Hydra Therapy moisturizer is activated by water on freshly-showered skin to deeply penetrate the skin surface helping to heal dry skin. Non-irritating formula, suitable for sensitive skin.
- LIGHTWEIGHT MOISTURIZATION - With daily shower application, your skin will feel 3 times more hydrated. Reducing the need to use heavyweight lotions.
- HYDRATE YOUR SKIN WITH NO RESIDUE - Curél fast absorbing lotion allows for wet, in-shower application and immediate absorption so you can towel off and go.
- CREATE A MOISTURE BARRIER - Curél moisturizers, with Advanced Ceramide Complex, replenish ceramides to your dry skin. With better moisture retention, you can help prevent the issues associated with extra dry skin.
- PROVEN DRY SKIN RELIEF – Unique moisturization formulas with a long history of success, Curél Hydra Therapy moisturizers have been granted the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance.
Use this moisturizer immediately after the shower for maximum effectiveness. Greaseless and easily absorbed on the skin, this water-activated moisturizer penetrates your skin to relive dryness and irritation. The advanced ceramides in this moisturizer replenish your skin's natural moisture barrier and prevent dry skin symptoms from returning.
All the products we've talked about are really effective at reducing uncomfortable symptoms that come with eczema. But, the winner clearly is the CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion for Itch Relief.
The reason this product wins the prize for the best eczema lotion is due to its effectiveness in reducing the itching and irritation caused by eczema within minutes of applying it. For a reasonable price, you get an eczema lotion that not only relieves your misery but also works to protect and restore your natural's skin barrier, thereby healing your eczema and preventing flare-ups.
As with any health condition, always remember to check with a dermatologist before trying out a new product for eczema. All the products we've discussed here work well for eczema. However, your doctor will be the best person to recommend an eczema cream that addresses your individual skincare needs.
Featured image source: Pixabay
Last update on 2021-03-01 at 08:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API