Looking for a way to add extra protein to you diet? Try the best whey protein for women. Whey is the most popular of the protein sources, and is great for pre-workout energy, post-workout recovery, muscle-building, satiety, weight loss, and more.
Protein helps with weight loss in several different ways. The average daily protein intake for women should be around 68 grams – but those looking to lose weight should increase their protein consumption to 25% of their daily calorie intake (which would be 113 grams of protein on an 1800 calorie diet). Supplementary protein powder can help you meet those protein intake goals.
Protein also helps build muscle, and more muscle means more weight loss. The more lean muscle your body is composed of (compared to fat) the faster your metabolism will be – and faster metabolisms burn more calories, thus helping with weight loss.
In addition to building more muscle, protein also helps you keep the muscle you have. As much as you want your weight loss to only target your fat, it also inevitably affects your muscle mass too. Thankfully, protein helps you fight that muscle loss – when compared to high carbohydrate diets, high protein diets help you to lose more fat than muscle mass when you’re trying to shed weight.
And what’s probably the best, most immediate effect of adding some extra protein to your diet? You’ll feel fuller and your energy throughout the day will stay more stable (compared to the crash experienced by consuming lots of carbs). Your meal portions won’t have to be large, and you’ll be less tempted to snack throughout the day when your normal meals leave you satisfied for longer. You won’t have to eat as much.
Even if you’re already in the habit of eating healthy, low-fat, high-protein foods, it doesn’t hurt to add a little protein powder for a boost.
Best Whey Protein for Women Comparison Table
How We Rated the Best Whey Protein for Women
For our ratings on the best protein powder for weight loss we considered the type of protein, the amount of protein per serving, the cost, the reviews, the taste, and how easy the particular protein powder is to find.
Flavor is a defining factor in many people’s decision to use or not to use protein powder as an everyday part of their diet. No one wants to regularly consume something that tastes awful to them, no matter the benefits. That’s why some protein powders are flavored (coffee, fruit, chocolate, vanilla) and why there are so many great recipes for shakes and whatnot to bring joy to your taste buds when you’re trying to lose weight. For those who like to build their own food and shake flavors without worrying about the powder itself, there are also unflavored options.
Top 8 Best Whey Protein for Women
Here are our picks for some of the best whey protein for women:
Bodylogix Natural Whey Protein Powder
Bodylogix Natural Whey Protein Powder is gluten-free, non-GMO, sourced from grain-fed cows, and produced in a peanut free facility. There are no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners – the powder is sweetened with stevia. Bodylogix has an NSF Certification (National Sanitation Foundation) which ensures high standards in safety, quality, and claim accuracy.
The protein is 100% whey-sourced and there are 24 grams of protein and over 5 grams of BCAAs (branched chain amino acids) per serving.
Reviewers swear by Bodylogix’s great-tasting formula, available unflavored or in 4 other flavors – decadent chocolate, caramel chocolate, snickerdoodle, and vanilla bean.
Gym Vixen Sexy Whey Protein Powder
Gym Vixen Sexy Whey Protein Powder is optimized for women by packing extra calcium and vitamin D to increase bone density and fight osteoporosis, and folic acid for healthy skin and nails. It also offers 24 grams of whey protein isolate, 6.35 grams of BCAAs, no carbs, no fats, and no sugars per serving. It’s low calorie (96 per serving) and will help you build lean muscle mass without getting bulky.
The powder mixes quickly and has a fast absorption time into your body. It’s lactose-free for easier digestion – that means no bloating or cramps.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
- Packaging may vary - New look, with the same trusted quality
- Gold standard 100% whey blend – 24 grams blended protein consisting of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey peptides to support lean muscle mass – they don't call it the Gold Standard of quality for nothing
- Over 5 grams of BCAAS ‚Äì help build lean and strong muscles with BCAAs
- 3-4 grams carbs, 1-3 grams sugar, and 1-1.5 grams fat, gluten free, no sucralose in double rich chocolate flavor
- Instantized – Improves mixability to prevent lumps and clumps
With 24 grams of high-quality protein and only 2 grams of sugar per scoop, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard’s 100% Whey Protein Powder is a wildly popular and easy to find choice among customers. It’s quite likely you’ve seen this brand while wandering your local supermarket’s pharmacy aisle.
In addition to the main ingredients of whey protein isolates and whey protein concentrate, this powder also has over 4 grams of glutamine and glutamic acid and over 5 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs leucine, isoleucine, and valine per serving.
It comes in over 20 different flavors like banana crème, birthday cake, cake batter, chocolate coconut, chocolate mint, cookies and cream, gingerbread, hazelnut, key lime pie, mocha cappuccino, rocky road, salted caramel, strawberry banana, and vanilla ice cream, among others.
Power Crunch Proto Whey Protein Powder
- Proto Whey is an ideal product for athletes and for persons on a fat loss program
- It is a light, rich tasting dessert drink perfect for children and other hard to please individuals
- Requiring almost no further breakdown it is instantly and completely absorbed
- For maximum benefit without repetition or boredom
An easy to digest option with 20 grams of protein, 10 grams of essential amino acids, and only 1 to 2 grams of sugar per serving, Power Crunch Proto Whey Protein Powder is another great choice.
Power Crunch Proto Whey is well-liked because it’s easily digested and absorbed by the body due to its high DH, or degree of hydrolysis. The DH indicates how much the protein has already been broken down in order to be quickly and completely absorbed (down to amino acids, or di- and tripeptides).
Because Proto Whey doesn’t have to be broken down as much as other protein powders, it has less allergenicity and a low glycemic response. Also, the powder is easy to mix and doesn’t require the use of a blender.
It comes in flavors like café mocha, double chocolate, and vanilla crème.
Vital Proteins Dark Chocolate Collagen Whey Protein Powder
- Flavored Collagen Peptides --- Our flavored Collagen Peptides are the perfect way to add a new dimension of flavor to water, smoothies, recipes, and desserts.
- Bioavailable Collagen Peptides Powder ---- Sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine to ensure a high quality and sustainable source of this powerful ingredient. Digested and absorbed by the body quickly for maximum benefits.
- Health Benefits ---- Original collagen peptides helps improve the health of your hair, skin, nails, joints and ligaments, and tendons**.
- Certifications ---- Paleo Friendly & Whole30 Approved. Gluten & dairy free. Made with Collagen Peptides, coconut water powder, cocoa, and blackberry, our Dark Chocolate Blackberry Collagen Peptides are naturally sweet with no artificial sweeteners.
- Easy to Use --- Combine 1 scoop with 8 fl oz of liquid, mix thoroughly. This product works great to flavor hot and cold beverages, add collagen and some flavor to baked goods, and on top of common breakfasts like oatmeal, yogurt, and cereal.
Vital Proteins Collagen Whey Protein Powder has a whopping 27 grams of grass-fed whey protein per serving along with 10 grams of collagen, bacillus coagulans (and other probiotics), and hyaluronic acid.
This powder helps support improved athletic performance, joint flexibility, hydration, and more. There are no added sugars or artificial ingredients. It’s also gluten-free and non-GMO.
Bulletproof Whey Protein Powder
- VEGETARIAN AND A GREAT SOURCE OF PROTEIN: Vegetarian Protein Source with Colostrum from pasture-raised cows and Bulletproof XCT oil for sustained Energy. Whey Protein with added Colostrum is minimally processed to keep the integrity and quality of the protein. Whey Protein helps supplement necessary amino acids to help repair our bodies. Upgraded Whey is tested for heavy metals and environmental toxins.
- MADE WITH FRESH MILK: The native whey protein concentrate is made from fresh milk, unlike most whey products, which are obtained from a waste product of cheese manufacturing. We use proprietary filtration and drying which involves minimal processing to ensure the whey is not subjected to unsafe temperatures that would destroy the original protein components. This whey is not micro filtered, hydrolyzed, cross-flow filtered, or ion exchanged - all methods that denature the original proteins.
- HORMONE FREE: There is no rBGH. There are no added fillers. Upgraded Whey is pure whey protein containing only the best ingredients to fuel your mind and body for peak performance. XCT oil powder gives you a sustained burst of energy for maximum mental capacity.
- PUREST PASTURE-RAISED WHEY: Upgraded Whey is the result of meticulous lab-testing and pure pasture-raised whey. The result of years of testing ways to upgrade of the purest pasture-raised whey on earth.
- NO SWEETENERS ADDED: Upgraded Whey does not contain high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, flavors, dyes, or colorings. It is clean, and odorless.
Bulletproof’s Whey Protein Powder offers 15 grams of minimally-processed pasture-raised whey protein concentrate in an unflavored powder for your supplementary protein needs. It also contains Bulletproof XCT oil for sustained energy, as well as colostrum for a boost in your immune system.
The ingredient list is short so you know what you’ll be putting into your body.
PrettyFit All-Natural Whey Protein Isolate Powder
- BUILD YOUR IDEAL BODY: Only 100 calories with 24g whey protein isolate, 0 sugars, <1g fat, 1g carbs. Keeps you feeling full for hours and curbs cravings while supporting your metabolism.
- TOP RATED TASTE: Our DELICIOUS protein is top-rated for taste and drinkability. Perfect for shakes on the go, smoothies and baking. Mixes easily in water, juice or your favorite milk/milk substitute.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: All-Natural 100% Non-GMO Cold-Processed Ultra Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate with added digestive enzymes for improved absorption. Superior purity to whey concentrate.
- NO ARTIFICIAL ANYTHING: NO artificial sweeteners, gluten-free, 99%+ lactose free, hormone free, non-GMO, aspartame free
- EASILY DIGESTIBLE: NO Gluten, 99%+ lactose free, contains added digestive enzymes for easy digestion and to prevent gas/bloating
PrettyFit All-Natural Whey Protein Isolate Powder contains 24 grams of protein, a gram of carbs, less than a gram of fat, 0 sugars, no artificial flavors or sweeteners, and is only 100 calories. It’s gluten-free, hormone-free, non-GMO, and is 99%+ lactose-free. There are added digestive enzymes to help you absorb the protein without discomfort, gas, or bloating.
It’s great for controlling food cravings and building up lean muscle mass without adding on extra bulk, and its short ingredient list makes sure you know what’s going into your body.
ProMix Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder
- The only grass-fed whey with 3rd Party Verified Glutathione (Mother of All Antioxidants) with 180mg/serving. Undenatured & cold processed so you get more bioactive ingredients: lactoferrin, CLA's and L-Carnitine
- Our protein powder has 25g Protein, & 5.9g BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving. The optimum ingredients for clean nutrition, lean muscle and the best fitness results.
- Unlike other whey proteins, our Northern California source farms ensure year-round grass-fed supply. For over five years we have worked with the same farms. PROMIX brings years of true quality you can trust to your whey protein supplements
- HIGHER TESTING STANDARDS: PROMIX has higher testing standards on whey quality than any other whey protein: Corn free, soy free, gluten free, non GMO, hormone free and no chemical bleaching or additives. Our ingredients are all naturals.
- MORE THAN JUST WHEY: Our whey miracle formula has 0.75% sunflower lecithin for extra nutrition and to make PROMIX easier to mix than any other whey. Add it to a shake, a smoothie bowl, or your homemade protein bars
ProMix Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder has 25 grams of pure grass-fed whey protein and 5.9 grams of BCAAs. ProMix is organic, non-GMO, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and free from artificial sweeteners.
There are very few ingredients – ProMix does its best to stay true to the whey protein concentrate, and whatever natural flavors are necessary for taste. It comes unflavored or in 4 other flavors – raw chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter, and chocolate peanut butter.
Best Whey Protein for Women: A Buyer’s Guide
There are several things you should be looking for when choosing your best whey protein for women.
It's important that your whey protein has the essential amino acids, is high in protein content (at least 20 grams per serving is recommended), and is low in carbohydrates so the extra calories don’t mess with your weight loss goals.
Whey is a dairy protein that’s a byproduct of the cheesemaking process. It’s the watery part of milk that ends up being drained away from the forming curds. It’s thermogenic (helps burn calories) and aids in protein synthesis (which starts the process of building new muscle). Because most of our bodies easily digest whey protein, it’s good to take after exercise for boosted muscle building and recovery. Whey isn’t a good choice for vegans or individuals with lactose intolerance – if you have dietary restrictions, you should probably look into a different kind of protein powder source.
While whey is the most popular protein powder supplement, there are other proteins to choose from too – casein, soy, rice, pea, egg whites, and hemp are a few. If your body can’t tolerate whey, consider one of the other protein options for that extra nutritional boost.
There are plenty of creative ways to use protein powder in food. You can mix the powder into your existing meals – say, into your oatmeal, pancake, or muffin mix to make your delicious results more nutritious and filling. For those types of recipes, you can swap up to a third of the flour with protein powder (don’t add much more than that though, or the texture of your food can get a little weird).
You can also use protein powder as a replacement for a meal altogether – by mixing a serving in with water, milk, a milkshake, or a smoothie, you can sip on a filling beverage instead of taking a fork to your plate. This meal method works best with casein protein (although whey still works too) because of its slow absorption rate – you’ll stay full for longer. Just be wary of what you put into your smoothie so you don’t unintentionally consume more calories than you intended.
Not ready to swap out a whole meal for a protein shake? No problem, drink your smoothie as a snack for a quick burst of energy when needed or as a holdover to make it to your next major meal. You could also make your own protein balls.
No matter how you choose to chow down on your supplemental protein, whey can help you achieve your health goals while also serving as a quick, fulfilling snack, meal, or beverage for busy people who are always on the run.
Last update on 2021-01-25 at 11:41 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API